The 1890 House Museum aims to promote and interpret the historical and cultural significance of this property to the public. The 1890 House seeks to collect, preserve, research, display, and interpret objects that promote local and national history of America’s cultural heritage during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The last Wickwire to live at 37 Tompkins Street Marian Wickwire O’Connor died at home in 1973. The Wickwire Residence was put up for auction and the remaining contents of the Wickwire family were cataloged and sold at auction. A group of Cortland County leaders including members of the Wickwire family campaigned and secured the house to become a museum in 1975. The 1890 House Museum was used as an anchor for the Historic Tompkins Street District’s entry on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In 1984, the 1890 House Museum received its official NYS Charter to operate as a 501c3 historic house museum.